A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wow, it has been a while!

Wow! I just realized how long it has been since I have written...
I met with my doc this morning...I had not seen Dr. Wright in a few months, as he has been in a different location on Thursdays (I've met with his assistant, Nellie in his absence). He told me he was sruprised I looked so well...ah, he always makes me feel good!
I am happy that I have lost more weight since my last visit three weeks ago...a few more pounds off. Seems like the weight is coming off so slowly. Oh well, I am doing as much as I can, eating better and exercising. Ugh, ready for my pre-chemo pants to fit again!!!
So, Dr. Wright and I discussed quite a few things:
Protein Marker Results: Doc said this is kind of like testing for smoke from a possible fire. There was no smoke detected in the last test...Yay! Today, they drew blood to test more directly for "fire..." the results will be back in a day or so.
PET Scan: will be in mid-June. He is looking at the research I provided him re: the Whole Body MRI research (found that MRI may be just as good at detecting cancer tumours as PET/CT Scans without subjecting the recipient to the radiation of a PET Scan.) I am still a bit leery from the MRI issue I had with the Breast Scans back in August of last year--I feel like it missed much of the cancer/what was going on...we will see how I feel about this moving forward. Maybe I would insist the results be read by more than one person...
Swelling on the right side of my chest: Dr. Wright looked at the swelling and indicated he did not feel like I needed to follow up with Dr. Cox.
Recent Research discussion:
1) Baby Aspirin: I told him I have been taking 81 mg/day based on the recent research showing that there was some reduction in cancer recurrence rates by taking it. He gave me an enthusiastic thumbs up and said that the research showed that taking it 5 days a week instead of 7 was shown to be more beneficial. Strange...okay, so I will take it Monday through Friday. Hmmm... this seems to have something to do with reducing the amount of inflammation in the body as a whole. Can't hurt I suppose.
2) Inositol/IP-6: he has no issues with my taking this...there is some research being done on this.
3) Sulforaphane (Broccoli Extract): I gave him the synopsis of the research and he said I could take it with no problem. I think I will order some from the Internet, as I have had some difficulty finding it in my local stores. Strange that more health-food stores do not carry this...there is so much research that has been done on the health benefits of Broccoli on a number of types of cancer. Some recent research shows that sulforaphane may shrink cancer cells or eradicate them. Hell...it's Broccoli. I can't eat enough of it, so if it comes in pill form, what the hey?

Basically, the doc is fine with my taking supplements and vitamins. Good deal!

So, I did get my Herceptin treatment today. It really does make me feel a bit funky afterward. Hm...oh well, that is what naps are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment