A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Friday, March 5, 2010

Can I have some hair please?

Just a little blurb about hair regrowth after chemo...

I find myself obsessively watching my scalp for signs of head hair. Every night I shine a flashlight at just the right angle across my sad little head. Now, I still have hair that did not fall out during treatment...I have buzz cut that down to a "One Guard" for now...but every night I look for signs of new growth.

I have some very tiny fine blonde hairs coming in now, just some stubble filling in where I had been very bald. It tickles my fingers to rub my hands across my head.

Legs...my lower legs spit out enough hair that I opted to shave them this morning...my upper legs have some hairs coming in as well...these seem to be more slow and difficult (lots of ingrown hairs dammit!) My arm hairs are also coming in slowly...there were lots that did not fall out, but it is so blonde that you cant really see any hair on my arms at this point. Fine white-blonde hairs are coming in just like on my head.

Pubic hair? Well, after all was said and done, I was left with 3 pubic hairs. I called them my three soldiers guarding the Alamo. I thought about putting them out of their misery...but remembered being a youngster feeling so happy to have ANY pubic hairs...so I left them. I have called in 3 more troops...and there seem to be some others rising to the occasion...along with lots of very fine white-blonde hair (that really does nothing to guard the fort).

Nose hair? I am just fascinated by this. In an earlier blog, I mentioned that I sneezed out the last remaining ones some time ago. I have a few coming in here and there...I swear I can feel them growing in...in all their itchy glory. It is very hard to scratch the inside of your nose...my "regular" fingers are too big to get in there...so I have to use my pinky finger. I find that I am not as skilled with my pinky finger as, say, with my index finger. Oh well...live and learn.

Eyelashes: I never lost these...they may have thinned out a little, but I really did not notice.

My eyebrows are still very much there...but they have been downsized by about 50%. The only regrowth I have noticed there is that one damn eyebrow hair that comes out above my left eye...that one hair that is completely white and grows about an inch long, straight out...the one I always used to forget to pluck until the sun would hit it just right. Yeah, that little bastard is back. I plucked it and felt a little bad about it too.

I am including some pictures of the progression of my hair loss...and where I was as of last weekend. I will provide some re-growth pics as time goes on (I was somewhat obsessive with finding these photos or videos when I was losing my hair). Oh...and only head hair, sorry folks, but I don't need my Alamo ending up posted everywhere for folks to see!

The First Photo (2 days after my first chemo...)








Second Photo (2 weeks into chemo, I cut my hair short)

  
Above right: 2 weeks into second chemo treatment...about 75% of my hair had fallen out. You may also notice how the treatments affected my skin (very dry, required lots of makeup to keep from looking really "ill")

 
The black white above was taken 3 weeks after my last chemo treatment. The hair left on my head had not fallen out during chemo...but 90% was gone.

The last two photos (in color) were taken last weekend (4 weeks after my last chemo treatment; February 26th). No noticeable growth in the photos.

I have since buzzed my hair even shorter than in the last photo, as new little baby hairs are starting to come in. More photos soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tory,
    You are a wonderful person, I love the way you are so positive about all the pain you have gone through. God Bless your soul!
    For as long as I've known you and I am blessed that I got to work with you at the "Y" and I have always had so much respect for you and I am very thankful that you are still that positive person I met so long ago.
    I wish you the best, you are always in my thoughts and wish you well Tory.
    Please always stay in touch, one day I hope to see you when I get back to FL this summer. I bring my boys down to see their dads Nick and Billy for the summer, I always stay with Kara and Scott so maybe we could meet for lunch or dinner one night. I miss you and send my love your way!!!!!

    Love ya,
    Kathy Hatch

    ReplyDelete