A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Working...shirtless

Today I had an early Radiation Doc appointment--my usual Tuesday meeting with him and then he had to "mark me up" for the targeted/boost radiation treatment set to begin on Thursday, April 1, 2010. The doc looked at my skin and offere to let me have a "rest" from radiation for a couple of days. I asked if that meant they would make me get them later, yes it would, so I said, "No, just treat me." Hell, I was so upset when I learned that my last day of radiation was NOT March 31st, but April 8th...I can not stand to go beyond that dammit!!!

Yes, my skin is fried. There are at least 5 different spots with 2nd degree burns or worse, and one area (under my arm) is constantly "draining." The stinging...this truly sucks!

Anyway, I was "marked up," then treated, then set up for targeted radiation. Thankfully, I only had to have two of the usual four series of treatments today--we are done with treating the super-clavicle area (last one was Monday). What was really fun today was that I could not apply any of the Silvedene cream to my skin until after treatment. Normally, I put it on in the morning (after my shower) and then in the evenings and before bed. However, because I cannot apply it within 4 hours before being treated, and with such an early appointment today, I went in with having only applying aloe gel. Don't get me wrong, aloe gel is great, but it really does very little for me at this point. Plus, when it dries, it has the tendency to make your skin a bit tight and dry.

Well, because I was unable to wear any top that even somewhat resembled "business casual," I opted to head home after the appointment and do some work remotely...and shirtless. The shirt I wore to treatment had to be soaked so the stains would not set in...

My last "regular" radiation treatment is tomorrow...then five days of targeted treatment along the scar line. Luckily, the scar line is not burned up too badly, yet.

2 comments:

  1. Tory, OUCH! I'm sorry you have to go through this. I don't know if you can get it in time, but you might want to take a look at our cream (Jeans Cream). We recommend people start using it before treatment begins, but we have a number of people who have reported that it is very helpful even after a bad burn has already set it. It's made from pharmaceutical grade aloe and very high potency vitamin E. If you wind up wanting to try it and it doesn't help you at all, just return it for a full refund. Feel free to look up the cream in Google or to call us with any questions you may have: 978-524-0323. My mom's been through breast cancer treatments (incl. rad onc) twice, and would be happy to provide any support or info.
    Warmest wishes & fast, graceful healing, Lexi
    ps. I couldn't figure out how to send this note to you privately, rather than doing it as a post (so of course feel free to delete it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lexi! I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete