A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Medical Oncologist Appointment...PET/Bone Scan info...chemo schedule...

This morning, I had my first appointment with Dr. David D. Wright with Gulfcoast Oncology Associates (http://www.gulfcoastoncology.com/) over in Tampa. The office is right next to St. Joseph's Hospital and is not too far from home to make it inconvenient.

I have to say I was horribly anxious last night and before the appointment. I had trouble sleeping...just going over the questions again and again in my head. I had typed them up this time...and added more questions in pen as they came to me.

My friend and fellow Breast Cancer Survivor, Cindy, joined me for the meeting with the doc...she also brought with her a book, Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book, and a gift bag with a Breast Cancer Awareness TY Beanie Baby...a cute keychain and a card. I really appreciated her being there...and I love my little gifts!

Dr. Wright is young...like Dr. Cox, and he is very energetic, smiley and kind. He made me comfortable right away, answered all of my questions, and just generally was pleasant. Since I don't really enjoy meeting new doctors...it was nice to again like someone right away (similar to Dr. Cox). I feel like he took a lot of time with me to go over treatment options and the questions I had or ones that came up. Cindy was beneficial to catch some additional questions that I had missed. Thanks Cindy!

Okay, so next week, I will be having the PET and Bone Scan. Dr. Wright's office will set this up and call me to tell me where and when this will occur. They will attempt to get this scheduled somewhere closer to where I live for my convenience. Dr. Wright will discuss with me the results of the tests when they are available.

The "Standard Protocol" for my type of Breast Cancer is TCH, Toxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. I will be receiving the three drugs via my chemo port (on the upper left side of my chest) every 3 weeks for 6 total sessions. After that, the Herceptin will continue to be administered in the same manner, every 3 weeks for an additional 11 doses (17 doses total of Herceptin). Radiation will be with the Radiation Oncologist after the first 6 doses of chemo.

Chemotherapy will begin in 2 weeks, on October 15th. This will give me additional time to recover from the bilateral mastectomy that was just 2 weeks ago...thank goodness! And it will provide some time for the PET/Bone Scan to be completed with results provided to the doc. I will be receiving chemo at the office I was at today, and I toured the area to make sure I would feel comfortable there. It was fine...not dissimilar to the setup my mom has for her dialysis treatments. Luckily, I will only have to be there for 4-4.5 hours every 3 weeks. Heck, mom gets dialysis 3X a week...I think I can handle hanging out there with no problem!

I am having the chemo administered on Thursday afternoons, then I can get a shot on Friday (anti-nausea and other meds if necessary) and recover over the weekend. This way it will not interfere too much with work. The shot may include steroids (although we are going to be very careful with this) Neulasta and/or Procrit. Decadron was also mentioned. I have had interesting responses in the past to some steroid medications, so the doc will be watching this closely. I distinctly remember the last time someone gave me Prednisone...I experienced insomnia for 3 days...AND acute psychosis. Fun stuff! Hell, I managed the psychosis okay...nothing like a break from reality. No one at the UNT Criminal Justice Graduate Studies Department seemed to mind so much...maybe I didn't seem that different than my normal crazy self? Anyway, I told the doc he needed to watch steroid issues with me closely...and he indicated he would be available via phone if needed.

Ok...17 to 18 days after chemo, I will lose my hair. Yes, it will grow back, but ugh. The doc gave me a script for a "hair prosthesis!" That would be insurance jargon for a freakin' wig!!! And that's only the one for my insurance...apparently, "scalp prosthetic" is also used. That one seems wrong to me...my scalp won't fall off...although I didn't ask that question specifically (joking). Well...thank goodness Halloween is coming up...should be no shortage of goofy wigs I can don--for shits and giggles. I will probably get a good one though...we'll see. I have always been so hot natured...lately I have been feeling the effects of cold more...I may just need one. Who knows. I always did like hats...and my sis is a rad knitter. Note to self: find awesome cotton hats...allergic to wool, so wool is out. Maybe Lindsey Lohan (sp?) will date someone (else) who likes good hats this time. Much easier when I can buy hats at Target.

I also have this lidocaine cream that I have to rub on my chemo port prior to my sessions...my mom does this to her wrist before her dialysis...I will get with her for tips on how to best use this stuff. Crazy, the port is just below my skin, and they just go right in with the needle/chemo drugs. EEK. I'll probably need anti-nausea meds just to handle that shit to be honest!

What else? Oh, blood will be checked at each session, prior to starting...and I meet with the doc prior to each session. AND, the doc will be doing the genetic BRCA testing. It is covered by my insurance because I have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

OH...and if you are wondering how I will feel after chemo: Doc says I will feel like I have a mild hangover the day after chemo...along with a couple of days after that. He also indicated that nausea is an issue...although I kind of figured this...and when the nurse gave me a script for 3 different prescription medications for nausea, I could tell they were serious!!! Apparently, they will also be giving me anti-nausea meds with the chemo meds as well. I am thinking that someone may have experienced nausea in the past...maybe they were just covering their bases? ;-)

I think that is all for now...although my brain is mush from today. Heck, I had 2 hardcore naps after the appointment. Even with that damn Starbucks fix! Note to self: buy Starbucks store. Give free coffee to everyone on 9/11.

With love,
The boobless one in West Central Florida...the one searching the internet for a hair prosthesis...really? OH shit could I have fun with some wigs...
~Tory :-)

P.S. Doc says I look really strong and vibrant...and that I will be just fine. I know I will. I just like hearing a younger man tell me I look strong and vibrant!

No comments:

Post a Comment