A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Why I will survive (or, how I found my breast lump)

Lots of folks, men and women, have been asking me about how I found my lump--or why, at the ripe, young age of 34 (now 35) I was having mammograms. Was breast cancer in my family, or what? Well, there is NO breast cancer in my family, no reason for me to think that I would need early testing or anything like that.

After writing this, I realized I not only tell you how I found this damn thing...but I give you a hell of a lot more emotion and background. Some of you may not want to read through...and that is fine (really, no guilt!!!) For you: I did do semi-regular self-exams (about monthly) in the shower, but I had felt nothing unusual. I felt the lump, high on my breast, to the outside, during working out. It felt like a pulled muscle--this was quickly noticed during a weight training routine. It was larger than the muscle area on the other side. I truly thought I had a pulled muscle--it felt like a knot. Then it got painful--like a knife stabbing me from the inside, so I (eventually) had it checked out. Do NOT believe people who say, "It doesn't hurt if it is cancer."

For those of you who want to read further, here is the emotional streaming...the contextual stuff that explains the thought process I went through...and why there was a 4 month delay in testing...and more...because I ramble!

In early March 2009, in the midst of a new workout routine (more weights and upper-body exercises), I felt an area of "hardness" above and to the outside of my breast area. It was where some of the muscles I was using for chest/pectoral muscle exercises were. It was just harder than it was on the other side. I really did not think much of it, as I was working out and exercising those muscles, so I just continued on my merry way. Hell, it was just a pulled muscle to me. I worked out up to 5 times a week...with cardio and weights. Occasional pulled muscles were nothing new...and this felt like a classic "knot." Nothing more, nothing less.

Later in March, something was telling me that I should get it checked. But then it started hurting a bit. And I had heard that damn (and woefully incorrect) saying that, "if it hurts, it's not cancer." Sad how many people think that is true. I kept using that as my mantra...but I kept feeling like I should get it checked anyway. Very low on the priority list. Wow...ME, my health, my well-being was LOW on my priority list!

As I was in the middle of a divorce, living with friends, flying back and forth to Texas, dealing with the emotions of having my mother being very ill, and just generally trying to keep from going completely insane, I kept putting off having it checked. Plus, it hurt, right? Oh, and my regular doctor had retired...so I had to find a new GP (and I hate that...I am uber picky with doctors).

Just after my divorce in early May, that damn spot began to hurt to the point that I could not just talk myself out of it anymore. I started hunting for a new doc...but then I was focused on my possible move back to Texas at that point. The pain felt like knives...or just one knife (hey, my boobs are smallish, multiple knives would not fit!) I would say that it felt like someone was stabbing me from the inside out...through the nipple and up through my neck. It started to wake me up at night. I started to worry...and started researching what this could be. I convinced myself it was a clogged duct, a cyst, or something, anything other thann cancer. Still needed to go to the doctor, dammit!

So, in June, I hunted down a new doc and made an appointment. I missed my first one, as my mother went back into the hospital in DFW/Grapevine. I went back in early July. Of course, my doc felt it and sent me for a mammogram. At that point, in early July, I had made the decision to move back to Texas to be near my family. I was going back and forth so much and had just lost any energy to be in Florida. All of my friends in Florida were supportive...My mom was in and out of the hospital so much, and I just felt like a ping-pong ball flying back and forth...I was totally, completely, fucking TIRED.

My mammogram was scheduled for later in July, so I made a trip out to Texas. I figured I would hang there, look for jobs and make 1 or 2 trips back to Florida (to get my stuff and get medical questions out of the way). The first trip back to Florida was supposed to be for a quick mammogram, to be told I had a cyst or a clogged duct, and I would be relieved and deal with it later. I had turned in my notice at work and had resumes out in DFW. I would move back to DFW and find a job when I got there...health insurance...well, that would have to wait.

I had my first Mammogram at 34 years of age...on Wednesday, 7/22/09. I was scheduled to be in Florida for about a week. I was told that I would have the results early the next week...or by Friday if there were any concerns. I kept telling myself it was nothing...but I have to say that I knew. I knew something was not right...but I had gone so stressed out over everything, I decided it was my MENTAL health that was not right!

On Friday, 7/24/09, my doc's office called me and told me that "further tests are needed."

I was sitting in my truck outside of Starbucks--right next to a Panera (unusual, right?) when they told me...I threw up. Luckily, I had time to open my truck door. Hey...I am not a puker...unless I am completely inebriated or physically ill--I am just not a mental-puker. I guess the stress, the year I had so far, my emotions, the reality, the fear...well, it was one hell of a puke. I cried and puked for about 8 hours that day. Much of it sitting in that parking lot. Those poor folks at Panera...just trying to get a bite to eat. Sucked for them!

So, I went back in on Monday, 7/27/09 for a targeted Mammogram and an ultrasound. A small mass was clear on the ultrasound. The technician brought in the Radiologist, an M.D. He said to me, "I am not 100% sure that is cancer, but it really doesn't look good." I still can picture that small black spot on the ultrasound...it was as if I had seen "my enemy." And I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment