A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Surgery on 9/2/09, and possible next steps

Here's the scoop:
Today, I am having a lumpectomy. I chose this from 3 options, a lumpectomy, mastectomy, or a nipple-saving mastectomy. I chose the lumpectomy, as the information/research available shows no real difference in survival/re-occurrence rates between lumpectomy or mastectomy. The procedure will take approximately 2 hours...starting around 2:15 PM. It may go long, I was told my doctor is very meticulous.

During the procedure, Doctor Cox will be removing the mass and ensuring a clear margin of non-cancerous cells removed (approximately 4-5 centimeters will be removed from my breast). He will be conducting a Sentinel Node Biopsy, meaning they will remove the Lymph node that dumps into the area that has been identified as cancerous. During the procedure, the node will be tested for cancer cells. If it is clean, no more nodes will come out. If there are cancer cells, they will perform an Axillary Node Dissection, thereby removing all of the lymph nodes in the area (including my armpit area). This will require an extra incision and probably an overnight hospital stay--I will have a drain if this occurrs as well.

IF there is no cancer detected in the Sentinel Lymph Node, he will fit me with a temporary balloon for Mammosite therapy.

Then, he will be inserting a port for chemo.

At this point, and there will be additional tests done to do the final Staging and Grading (on the removed mass), it appears I have Stage 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. The mass looks to be about .5 cm X .5 cm based on imaging. The final biopsy after the removal will give us the exact size. The mass is Estrogen and Progesterone Negative and HER2 Positive.

The pathology report for the surgery will be available in 3-5 days. My follow up appointment is in one week, next Wednesday, 9/10/09, at 11 AM.

If Mammosite Therapy: Radiation will be only 5 days. If I am not a candidate for Mammosite (mass too large or if the lymph nodes have cancer spread), I will have to do the traditional full-breast Radiation (6 weeks of daily radiation on the full left breast). Mammosite allows them to target the radiation to just the offending area.

Chemo: because of the nature of HER2 positive cancers, it is very likely that I will need chemotherapy. Herceptin is the drug of choice, and there could be additional chemo drugs used. Herceptin is a year-long treatment.

Some additional info:
Doc is using surgical glue today, so no stitches.
There is risk of lymphedema if they have to do the Axillary Node Dissection (actually, a very good chance I will get it...)
The biopsy tissue samples are made into slides and saved for 5 years

No comments:

Post a Comment