A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chemo 2 of 6 Today--1/3 DONE!!!

Well, Becky and I went to the Oncology office today for my bloodwork (still looking fine), meeting with my doc, and chemo part 2 of 6.

Finally I had the tech pull blood straight from my port instead of my arm/hand. Yay! No track marks this week!!! The results were fine per the doc, and I got the report for my records.

Meeting with the doc went great. He was very surprised to see that I had so much of my hair left. I have lost about half of my hair on top of my head. Oddly, I have most of my body hair too...hmmm. Well, my head hair is coming out very rapidly...so I don't know how much I will actually end up with, but we shall see.

I asked about the new study about cancer changing receptor status when it spreads to the lymph nodes. I asked specifically if the meds I was receiving would appropriately treat a cancer that had become ER or PR positive in nature. Based on what type of cancer I have, and the meds I am currently taking, we are treating it very aggressively and in a way that would attack any of the types it could morph into. Good news. I might watch this research though, as it intrigues me.

I also asked about exercise...what he would like me to do and if he feels I could go to the gym or not. He said he felt like I should do what feels right for me. He would suggest no heavy cardio work, but that exercise is definitely a good thing and to do it. Walks, light weights, and mild cardio is good.

We are continuing on the diflucan medication as it appeared to ward off the Systemic Yeast Infection that I developed last time. Essentially, I had the yeast infection in my mouth, throat, ears, nose and rectum. That was just so nice. Can we not do that again if possible? I have my script...with plenty of refills, so I can keep that side effect at bay. That side effect may be more related to the steroid decadron...

I mentioned about the lovely bone pain that results from Neulasta shots I get the day after chemo. I know I need them, but those f*#&ers are something else. "Mild" Bone Pain my ass. I did tell the doc that some folks on the internet were trying Claritin to help with the bone pain with some success. I told him I had researched the interactions and found no ill effects...so I had tried it. I told him it worked somewhat...not completely, but seemed to cut down the pain level a bit. He said he would look into it.

I did forget (again) to ask about the BRCA gene mutation test results...or if the test had even been ordered. Oh well, must remember this next time.

Next chemo is moved up to the day before Thanksgiving...and the shot will be on Friday. Works for me...just hoping I am up to do the St.Pete Times Turkey Trot (well, the little fun run version of it, the Gobbler 1 mile) the morning of Thanksgiving. My sis will compete in the 5k and will join me for the Gobbler once I sign up! Cool!

Anyway, back for chemo. They upped some of the pre-treatment medications this time to ensure I did not have a funky reaction like I did last time. Last time I got very hot and faint during the last chemo med administration. They had to give extra steroid via IV Push...that was no fun. But this time, they gave me a larger dose of Decadron (steroid) over a longer period, and they gave me Ativan via IV. Hmmm....that was trippy. Made me loopy and tired very quickly. Funny, my left eye was working okay, but my right eye seemed to be going all sideways to the world. Together, this made for some interesting stereoscopic views of the chemo administration room.

My friend Nancy showed up in the chemo room...I had no idea she was receiving treatment there...she is now doing her ongoing Herceptin treatment. She completed chemo then had a unilateral mastectomy. She will be doing reconstruction about 9 months after her last radiation. We talked for a while about what she had been through during the year...wow! There have certainly been some challenges for a handful of the people I know...for her, I wish continued learning and happier times ahead. I hope the same for myself, actually! It was nice to have her there during a large portion of my chemo today...she is such a good soul!

Anyway, I got my usual Aloxi (anti-nausea), Benadryl, Decadron, Tylenol (oral), Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. All told, I spent about 5 hours hooked up to meds today. No exciting events like last time...just got a bit nauseous and very slightly dizzy during the last med (Herceptin). Was glad Becky was there for support and to watch over me...I cannot stress the importance of having a good person with you during these treatments. My sister is good for my soul...and I need that during this. Thanks Bec!

Well, we finally got out of the office around 5:30 PM, after picking up my next scheduled appointment listing. Becky drove us home and was able to join her running group over in Tampa. I was able to drive up to the pharmacy and fill the new diflucan script (and grab some of that 75% off Halloween Candy that I really did NOT need). Hmmmm...read a small book on Mickey Mantle while waiting for the med to be filled.

Feeling okay tonight...just a little looped and tired. Took some Zofran to combat the minor nausea I was feeling...ate a decent meal (and too much clearance Halloween Candy to even admit to). Now, I think I will take the other meds as directed, drop some Diflucan and hit the bed a bit earlier than I normally do. This girl is a bit tired tonight.

Next Steps:
Get Neulasta shot tomorrow: ooooh...get ready for that "mild" (bullshit, that is not mild dammit) bone pain...
Have Thyroid Biopsy on November 10th
Next Chemo on November 25th

Need to research more on the reconstruction options...how long after radiation must I wait? Can I get implants after radiation? Some questions have come up during discussions with folks and some of my research.

Need to get script for fake boobies to wear in my bras until I get reconstruction...these cotton padded thingys are just driving me a bit crazy. I was supposed to get the script a couple of weeks ago, I just haven't done it yet.

Well, I am off for now.....
Here is to much health and happiness!
~Tory

1 comment:

  1. greetings, tory!

    i can so relate to the info in your blog. i was er+/pros+ and her2-. i did six rounds of TC for my chemo and had an allergic reaction to the first four until they finally did the saline drip after the antinausea meds to get me settled in. sounds like your onco is on it.

    i exercised as much as i possibly could during chemo, including a half hour of cardio. i wanted to get the toxins out and also found that it helped my energy levels.

    oh, i am 42. my first diagnosis was at 39 and i chose not to do anything after the surgery. this second bout was stage ii so i did the chemo, radiation, and attempted the hormone therapy -- bad reaction to the tamoxifen so am on hold for a couple of months re: the hormone trmt. i also had a mastectomy and diep reconstruction. i still have a bit of nipple work to do in march or so. the surgeons wanted six months of rest for the skin after radiation. how knows -- i am may be used to my 2-d nipple by then.

    i wish you much strength and peace during this taxing time, tory. be very good to you!

    best to you!
    Laurie L Meschke

    ReplyDelete