A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Friday, November 20, 2009

This week...

Well, this week has gone quite well. I have had some energy and stamina (nice!), and I even took a 3 mile walk on Wednesday. I have been tired in the evenings; however, I have found that if I go to bed at a more reasonable hour, I have a better day overall (fatigue-wise). Really, I am needing no less than 9 hours of sleep a night to feel good and energetic throughout the day. I have always liked/needed lots of sleep anyway, so this really does not surprise me.

The only real issue I have had this week has been my blood pressure. I noticed it seemed high (pressure in my head, headache), and I have been testing it regularly. For me, I almost always run about 120/80...nice and "normal." But I have hit as high as 145/97 this week. There is a certain feeling I just get in my head when that happens, and it was concerning me. I called the doc, and they decided to have me come in just to check me out. Hell, I've had some minor nosebleeds too, so we wanted to make sure there was nothing funky going on.

Anyway, I had my doc's appointment today, and I ended up seeing his Physician's Assistant. She was great...did a good look over and figured out that I had a good sinus infection. We are thinking that the blood pressure thing is something we will monitor for now...does not seem to be that large of an issue. My sinuses on the other hand are a bit out of hand. I have to take Augmentin for 10 days now to clear up this infection...being a "cancer patient" means I can't just refuse the antibiotic--little things can get too big and out of hand. I just hate taking meds unless absolutely necessary, and I guess it is absolutely necessary--oh well. I am keeping away from crowds of people for a few days to help ensure I don't pick up another infection...so...I will focus on getting rid of the sinus infection.

The nosebleeds I am getting seem to be from 2 key things: the Carboplatin causes excessive dryness in my nose and I also get sores from both chemo meds. Hmmm...sores up my nose + excessive dryness...that sounds about right to me. Good lord...remind me not to do this "for fun!" Oh wait, no reminder will be necessary.

The doc went ahead and checked my blood also while I was there...just to see if my platelets were low or if something else was going on. Bloodwork looks fine. Good stuff. I do seem to be retaining some fluids though...my weight had increased 6 pounds since my last visit. Well...probably fluids and some of the junk I have been craving lately. Better get back to eating the good stuff again...like I don't know better. Hell, I have to live a little sometimes! My britches were feeling a bit tight though...alright, I'll do better!!!

Well, I am off to enjoy this sinus headache! Oh...and my head hair is still hanging out there. Doesn't seem to feel like falling out this time. Hmmm...

~Tory

P.S. I have been able to work all day every day this week--except today, had to do some from home to "avoid crowds."

No comments:

Post a Comment