A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chemo Weekend #2

Well, on Friday, the day after my second chemo treatment, I felt a bit speedy from the steroids...and I felt fine, so I went into the office. Was rather productive, but then I had to leave to go get my Neulasta shot in the afternoon.
While driving over to Tampa from New Port Richey, I spoke with my mom (who is in Grapevine, TX). She indicated that my grandmother, Helen, was going to be released from the hospital with hospice care in the home. Grandma fell early on Thursday AM, so she had been at the hospital in a lot of pain. Anyway, after sitting in the parking lot of the treatment center, I just decided that I did not have the strength to head out to Texas to say "goodbye." I actually ended up convincing myself by saying...you can't just do something out of the fear of possible future regret. So, I opted to stay here in Florida and take care of myself.

I got the Neulasta shot and headed home after for some much needed rest. By the end of the day, Friday, I was pretty exhausted! My mouth was a bit "funky," just dry and icky--you don't seem to be able to get enough water or other fluids to help this honestly. I had a dull ache in my lower back that night, but nothing more.

Saturday I spent doing laundry and cleaning up the house. Mom called and said that Grandma had been released from the hospital and was home in the morning. There were lots of folks there with them, my Uncle Jim, Aunt Roberta, and my mom's cousins Denny and Kathy.

The Neulasta bone pain started hitting later in the afternoon...that stuff means business. There is just no getting away from that pain. It is so deep...in my pelvis, my spine, my legs and knees. By the evening, I was resting in bed...with the heating pad under my butt, doing some back and leg stretches, talking on the phone with Josh. He was suggesting some stretches like I used to do when I did yoga...I was naming the poses/stretches he was having me do...thinking that I really should get back to doing some yoga. The stretches helped some...but only when I was actually doing them. Saturday night was a rough night for sleep...I woke up regularly with some intense pains in my upper legs. Also had acid reflux from hell--just drank Mylanta and Gaviscon when it woke me up.

Sunday morning my mom called to let Becky and me know that Grandma Helen had passed quietly during the night. I am sad that she is gone...but I am happy she is no longer in pain. She had suffered in pain for so many years...and her little body just couldn't put up with it any more. There will be a small memorial service in Grapevine; however, the larger service and "burial" at Arlington National Cemetery (with my Grandfather) will be in the Spring (when we can all go). I am glad that we will be doing the main service later...I want to be there. By then, chemo and radiation will be done...

Sunday started out okay...not as much pain from the Neulasta; however, that did not last for long. By about mid-day it came back in full force. I was very fatigued, but I had wanted to take Becky out to this great park East of here. So, we drove over to Weedon Island Preserve and did some hiking. It was just beautiful! We were out there walking around for a while until I petered out and had to head back home. I remembered the Claritin at that point, and I took one Claritin D when I got to the house. This really seemed to help with the bone pain!!! I'd say it cut it down to about 1/3 of what it was...so, the Claritin regimen will continue and I will remember it for the next go-round. My nose got all bloody again on Sunday. It is like all of the moisture from your nose is gone and you have bloody goops up your nostrils. I do have to say the symptoms are much better this time, as I do not have the Systemic Yeast Infection...thank you diflucan. My mouth is much better than last time, my eyes, my ears, my nose...everything is just better than it was the first time. The heartburn/acid reflux is the same though...although not unmanageable. I just drink down some chalky stuff...or take one anti-nausea med if it is really bad.

I took a nap Sunday evening, but was still exhausted that night. My mouth had gotten even more dry...my stomach was talking to me a little (just gas pains--very farty...and LORD do those farts stink!) I slept pretty well Sunday night into Monday...

Monday morning I woke up planning to go in to the office; however, I was just wiped out. I decided that I would use my energy to get some work done from home (instead of wasting energy driving an hour and a half round trip). This was a good decision, as I was very productive. The bone pain was there, but it was less severe with the Claritin...mouth dry (I have a couple of sores in my mouth that are driving me nuts), gas is minimal (everything fairly regular/normal in the nether regions this time). I went out and ran some errands around lunch time and nearly wore myself out completely! I took a brief nap early in the evening. Nose is still a bit bloody on occasion...just have to not pick (I know...I pick my nose *gasp, but it is hard not to!) But when you do, you break off the "plug" that keeps it from bleeding. Sheesh...all these goofy things to remember :-)

I have been able to eat normally during these past few days. No bland or BRAT diet this time. I have taken very few anti-nausea medications...only a couple at bedtime when the acid reflux really kicks in. The reflux is there constantly actually, but I have experienced that for so many years, that it really doesn't occur to me how bad it is sometimes. I just have to remember to do some preventative sips of Mylanta/Gaviscon (Gaviscon is actually much better than Mylanta for this--and it has always worked better for me overall. Gaviscon actually seems to stop or slow the reflux and the Mylanta soothes my esophagus).

Well, it appears that the symptoms are somewhat predictible for the first weekend after a chemo treatment. I will need to remember that the Monday following is really a rough day for fatigue--I was having trouble seeing the TV last night...my eyes were just so tired!

What's up next:
I am looking into a yoga class...maybe start next week?
I am signing up for a 1 mile walk on Thanksgiving day...this will be the day after my 3rd chemo, and I should be fine based on my experiences thus far.
I am considering going back to the gym soon...doc says it is fine but to take it easy...

Today: I am heading over to St. Joseph's Hospital to have my ultrasound-guided thyroid biopsy. Yep...I get poked in the neck with a needle. Damn thyroid...damn needles.

A run down of my main symptoms this time:
Fatigue
Acid Reflux/Heartburn
Dry Skin
Thirst
Dry, Raw Mouth
Dry, Raw, Bloody Nose
Gas/Bloating/Tightness in Stomach
Minor Swelling from Steroids
"Mild" Bone Pain (yeah, mild, my ass)

A note on hair loss:
I have about 10-20% of my head hair left...it is still coming out. Right now I look like a little old lady who really needs a perm. The texture is coarse...my scalp is itchy.
My body hair stopped falling out last week--nothing is missing at this point. I still have my pelt...just missing a lot of antlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment