A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Chemo #3 today...and I am halfway through!

Well, I went in early today to meet with my Oncologist, Dr. Wright, and to have my 3rd of 6 scheduled chemo sessions. Becky and I got there at 8:30 AM, and after some financial paperwork, I went back for blood work.
I have to remember not to look at blood coming out of me...it just makes me faint...not "go out" faint, but really seriously think about taking a nap, queazy lightheadedness. Especially when they are jacking in to my port...that stuff comes out quickly...right next to my heart. Fun fun.
Anyway, they did the blood draw for the BRCA genetic mutation test today. We should have the results within a few weeks. This mutation causes a propensity for breast and ovarian cancer. I have no ovaries anymore, and no boobies right now...so lets hope nothing else crops up!
Met with the doc. He indicated the bloodwork continues to look good...my Red Blood Cells were a bit low, and I asked him if there was something I could do to work on that--he said stop chemo. Hehhee. I told him that he did not have to offer twice! So, I guess my hemoglobin is okay, so he is not worried about my RBC. Other tests look good. My sinus infection is also clearing up...so that is nice...still quite a few more days of Augmentin (antibiotic) to clear that up.
I bitched again about the Neulasta shot causing intense "bone pain." Reminded him about Claritin, and told him I would keep him apprised of how it works. He said that he has mentioned it to others in the office and they had not heard of it. I told him he should do a study...and figure out what is in Claritin that reduces the pain effect.
I asked about traveling during December, after my 4th chemo (which we moved up a day to possibly accommodate my traveling out to Texas during the December holidays). He said, "No restrictions." I like that! So, it depends on how I am feeling and how much time I can get off work during the holidays. We shall see.

Next Steps:
Neulasta Shot on Friday (11/27; would have this tomorrow, but the office is closed...)
Chemo #4 (and next Oncologist Dr. Appointment) is on 12/16 at 10AM; Neulasta shot following day
Chemo #5 (and Dr. Appt) is on 1/7/10
Chemo #6 (final scheduled! with Dr. Appt) is on 1/28/10
Radiation should start approximately 3 weeks after last chemo!

Well, tomorrow is Turkey Day...and Beck and I will be getting up early to go to her 5k Turkey Trot Race...then we both will do the 1 Mile "Gobbler" fun walk/run. I think I will walk it! After this...we have turkey, greenbean casserole, sausage stuffing, veggies, blueberry pie and pumpkin pie, and onion dinner rolls. Yummy! Gimme a lazy day after an early start!

P.S. My head hair is falling out again...so what is left of it may be gone soon. Hmmm...I am diggin' the berets and hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment