A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Chemo-Daze...

So my doc said I was a brave "nut" for getting my chemo treatment the day before Thanksgiving. He is correct, I am a nut...but that is something that is fairly well-accepted and known, right?

Becky and I got up very early Thanksgiving morning to do the St. Petersburg Times Turkey Trot. She ran the 5K, and I did the 1 mile fun run/walk with her afterward. I did okay...but I think my legs were jelly after we were done. I was ready to go home and nap after that! Luckily, I had been ambitious the night before, and made up all of the dishes for our Thanksgiving meal. I don't know...just felt "speedy" and like getting it done and out of the way. Makes for a much more enjoyable day when you just have to throw things into the oven and wait!

After a nap, Becky and I got up and enjoyed our meal outside on the front patio. It was nice! Food was great, and I was stuffed. I was extremely exhausted after this, so I ended up going to bed around 8:30 PM. Weird, I was feeling a bit dizzy, somewhat nauseous and just whipped. I realized that I had not taken my suggested doses of Zofran and/or Compazine (for nausea), so I took both before bed. My night of sleep was fitful, and I woke up numerous times feeling dizzy and nauseous. I had lots of issues with reflux too, so it was not the most pleasant of nights...

Friday AM consisted of my getting up and going to Tampa for my Neulasta shot. My brain was so mushy that I missed my exit off the highway and had to loop back around. Kind of felt like an extreme head-cold...or maybe the flu...when you are just in a sort of haze, bouncing from one thing to the next. I guess "chemo brain" is one way of describing it...I certainly had trouble carrying on intelligent or even coherent conversations. Got my Starbucks after the shot...and had a wicked craving for tacos--and I hate Taco Bell, but apparently I had to have some...hmmm. 3 crispy tacos later, Tory was sated and happy.

I napped on and off for the rest of the day Friday...just felt shitty. I could not focus on anything, I felt nauseous, dizzy, pissy, out-of-sorts...meh. I did manage to get Sarge up to the Dog Park in the evening...don't know how I did it, but I did. Luckily he was quick to tire of the park today...so we were only there for about 30 minutes or so. More sleep after this.

Today I got up and felt a bit better than yesterday, but still dizzy and nauseous. The nausea is manageable for me...I think I could puke if I concentrated on it...but why do that? I had to keep reminding myself to take the Compazine every 4-6 hours to keep the weirdness at bay. I have been doing laundry on and off today...in between some awesome naps! Also felt like getting out and picking up my prescriptions, my Starbucks, a sandwich...and some well-advised Ginger-Ale. When I was out, I started feeling better and better. Still "off" and a bit out of sorts, but physically and mentally better. I did find that I had to make myself pay very good attention while driving today. So...I just stayed off of the heavily travelled roads and focused.

I have been taking Claritin for the bone pain (Neulasta)...I started it one hour before the actual shot was given. This seems to have kept a lot of the sharp pains down to a more manageable level. I have had some sharper, jabbing pains today in my knees and hips...but they are quick...fleeting...so this I can manage.

My nose started in with the bleeding earlier today. Not too bad, just some bloody snot. My mouth is a bit dry, but not terrible...and I am making myself drink as much water as I can possibly manage. I will say that food is not enticing to me...I have intermittent and strange cravings, and I cannot stand to think of anything sweet today. Leftovers make me gag right now...I haven't even touched my favorite pumpkin pie since Thanksgiving day--freaky! Bland was the word of the morning...then a sub this afternoon with lots of spicy mustard and juicy ham. I don't know...none of it makes sense. At least I can eat and keep it in me!

Overall, this round is a butt-kicker--similar to the first round. The second one seemed better to me. I have all of these things I would like to do...play in the garden, straighten up some messes I have around the house, even sit down to watch a movie...but I cannot seem to focus much or for very long on any one thing. Oh well, it will be over with soon. Just have to rest when my body says to rest...and I am.

Well, enough rambling for now...
~Tory

No comments:

Post a Comment