A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Friday, October 16, 2009

Appointment with the Oncologist, Test Results, and Chemo 1 of 6

So, October 15, 2009 was my first date with Chemo. The afternoon of the 14th, the Dr.'s office staff called me and asked me to come in earlier. I failed to ask "why" they wanted this, so I proceeded to freak myself out about the reason they may want to have me come in earlier (this appointment was also where I would hear about my PET/CT/Bone Scan tests.) Yeah, Josh, my Mom and Cheri worked on convincing me that it was just because of cancellations or needing to move around the schedule for something.
I put the Lidocaine Cream on my port area about 1.5 hours prior to my appointment...my mom suggested this based on her experiences with her Dialysis.
Anyway, had my usual bloodwork then my meeting with Dr. Wright, my Medical Oncologist. Cheri and my sister Becky were there with me and they both met him. I asked immediately about my test results, and he said I was "fine." He was surprised I had not been called with the results. I was so relieved to hear that there were no other cancers showing up on my tests...so freakin' relieved!!! There were a couple of anomalies...some nodules on my thyroid, doc said he does not think they are cancer...lots of folks have nodules there, but he wants an ultrasound done "soon." There were some other minor things that I can follow up on later, but my bloodwork was just fine, so there are no real concerns. No other cancer...no metatastes. Thank the universe!!!
So, lots more questions for the doc--mostly about what to expect from the meds, when I should call or be concerned about side effects, etc. He basically said that he did not want me to have side effects or be too affected by them, so he said to let the nurses or him know right away. The nursing staff would be going over all of the potential side effects, when to take the additional medications I had picked up the day before (on what schedule, etc) and other issues.
Went back to the chemo-administration area...nurse put some spray on the site they "jack in" to, and I did not feel a thing when they went in. Hmmm. Not so bad! So treatment started with Aloxi (anti-nausea) then Decadron (steroid to combat any possible reactions to the meds). Then the Chemo: Taxotere...next was the "Loading Dose" of Herceptin (was supposed to get Carboplatin first, but it was not ready yet, and the Herceptin was), then the Carboplatin. About 20 minutes into the Carboplatin, I started having a weird reaction...I felt so freakin' hot from the inside (like a Hot Flash times 10), this weird pain down my left arm...and I started to get tunnel vision. AND, my eyes felt like this strange "wetness" behind them...like cold wetness behind my eyes (weird?) I think I could have passed out, but then again...I may have been able to keep from doing it. My sis went and got the nurse who stopped the meds right away. She gave me some Saline fluids until they could get the doc to check on me. We decided to start again, and I got the same type of response but cut in about half. So, they gave me an IV Push of Decadron. Now...earlier, I had the Decadron over about 20 minutes, this was a push--immediate, and no one told me that there could be some side effects from that!!! Such as: my crotch suddenly felt like I had fire ants biting me all at once!!! Then it spread to a couple of other spots, including the top of my head. That was freaky...I guess if I had known I was going to have "ants" in my crotch and on the top of my head, it would have been easier to handle mentally!
Well, after that wore off a bit, they started me back on Carboplatin again slowly...then they sped it up, no weird response. The Nurse Oncology Trainer sat with me and indicated that she though it might have been the Herceptin that caused me to have the response. Who knows. I suppose I will find out next time.
Anyway, Chemo lasted until 5:45 PM...so I was on the IV from 12PM until then. Wow. Long time. Oh well...one chemo down, just 5 to go of these combo treatments. Still have 16 doses more of Herceptin though.
Ok...so my hair will be gone sometime between 10-18 days after the treatment yesterday...I've decided I am going to be a monk for Halloween. Just need some orange fabric to make a sheath to wear--with my bald head!
After Becky, Cheri and I left, I had Becky go through the drive through at Wendy's...my friend (and fellow Breast Cancer Survivor) Cindy K told me that I might want cold things...she was so correct! I got a Frosty and finished it within about 6 minutes. Damn, that was good. We also went to the CVS on the way home to pick up some Benadryl...to counteract some of the additional side effects I tried to have during treatment.
So, last night was okay really. I just had to take all of my anti-nausea meds and Benadryl...and I slept GREAT. I really did not expect to, and the nurses told me that I may not--but I was fine!
Still felt like I had a furnace burning inside of every single cell of my body...hotter than Hell...oh well. Just keep that fan on me and sweat it out! Drinking lots of fluids to stay hydrated and work everything out.
No real nausea last night...just gassy in my lower intestines and burpy with lots of heartburn. That, I can handle.
Cancer Sucks...at least it appears to have all been cut out so far...now we are covering the "just in case" portion. I really could be quite happy never doing this over again!!!

Shew!

No comments:

Post a Comment