A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Friday, October 16, 2009

The Day After My First Chemo

I have to say that I feel great today. Just a bit gassy (farty and burpy), but for those of you who know me, I doubt that seems abnormal. I will say that I have not been this gassy since I had my gallbladder removed some time ago. I just don't have the stomach problems I used to. I still have reflux and heartburn, and this stuff is pretty bad (what I am experiencing now), but hey, I'm not barfing (which to me, is pretty good!)
I was very "flushed" this AM...red as a beet (nurses later told me that this was likely due to the steroid, Decadron). A little hyper also from the steroid.
I drove myself over to Tampa to get my Neulasta shot and to talk with the woman trying to schedule me for my thyroid ultrasound. The Neulasta shot was quick and easy...nurse told me to take some Advil with food to combat any possible side-effects (mostly "bone pain"). I did and still do have some minor pain in my lower back and pelvic region, but Advil has helped so far.
St. Joseph's Medical Arts folks were able to get me in for the ultrasound right after my injection, so I went over there to have that done. That was fairly quick and easy...the tech said there were quite a few nodules, but that is not necessarily abnormal. Hey, we'll see. At least if there is thyroid cancer, they just yank it out and there is no additional treatment needed other than taking synthroid the rest of my life (that would suck, don't get me wrong, but it beats some alternatives I can think of!!!)
Anyway, went over to the office for a while to check in with folks and catch up with my boss and our CEO. That was nice. My boss and I had discussed a few things earlier over the phone, so I have my marching orders. Started to get a bit tired, so I left for home.
Feeling a bit tired tonight...and intermittently warm then cold...skin feels hot to the touch. I am still very gassy...oh well, I will just let folks know it is my "calling card..." so if you smell something bad, it may have been a small gift from me & my bowels (courtesy of my cancer treatment, thank you!) Ugh, heartburn is the pits though. This stuff is pretty damn harsh. I thought I knew my heartburn...but alas, this shit means business. Must drink more Mylanta. May have to go for the Gaviscon soon.
Oooh...need cold drink now.
More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment