A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Saturday, October 31, 2009

This week so far...post chemo session 1 of 6, week 2

Ok, so last weekend was not too bad...I was just tired. I was looking forward to being back at work and getting my schedule back in order. I was also looking forward to having my sis, Becky back in town.

I worked all week, at the office, with the exception of Thursday. That was exactly 2 weeks after the 1st chemo, and I felt so freakin' tired I couldn't hardly see straight. I went in for the usual bloodwork Thursday AM, with the intention of going to the office after, but by the time I got out of there, I was pooped. So, I drove home to take a nap...I had intended on sleeping for an hour or so then doing some work remotely from home. I ended up sleeping a full 4 hours...then doing some work from home!!! I guess I really was tired!

That night, I felt a little nauseous. I had taken the last of the diflucan the day before, an I needed to pick up the refill...so I did not fill it until later in the evening. I did take the dog for a long walk in the heat...and we played at the park for a while (he had me fetching the ball, actually)...so I wasn't sure what exactly "caused" me to feel nauseous. I ended up taking some of the anti-nausea meds...and the diflucan...and I felt a little better by the time I fell asleep (around midnight, unfortunately).

Well, Friday started off okay--I did notice my hair was starting to come out (on day 15) a few strands at a time (I'd actually been kind of obsessively picking at my hair to see if it would come out....it surely did start then!) I went up to the office, felt okay, but after I ate (we had a potluck gathering)...the gas, bloating and nausea hit again. Bummer. I hung out in the bathroom for a while and missed the ladies at work giving me some very cool hats! They ended up putting them on my desk, they had assumed I did not feel well (oh, they were right). Funny, I didn't throw up...haven't but one time in the first week...I just farted and sweated a LOT. As my Nana would have said, "A lot of wind, but no storm." Hmmm. Glad I had some of the anti-nausea meds with me. Took one, felt better within an hour.

Friday night was okay, I just had one hell of a headache--mostly a scalpache to be honest. Felt more like a surface or tension headache than a deep headache. Maybe something to do with my hair coming out. Or maybe I need to poke a hole in my skull and let the demons out?

Saturday (this) morning, I got up early and felt a wee bit ambitious. Still fatigued...but got some chores done. Felt good to get more things off of the to-do list. Again, I felt a bit nauseous around mid-day (4 hours after I ate this time...), so I took some compazine. Felt fine within an hour or so. Strange. Hair is coming out more rapidly now...all over. My hair is so thick though, you cannot really tell yet. I was thinking I would have my sister use the clippers on my hair--go for the buzz cut, but earlier today, I felt like I might not do that.

Tonight, I am feeling like I could have her do it soon...I don't know why I am waivering on this so much. I got some more hats (on clearance) at Target...they are fun...I am leaning more toward doing the hat and scarf thing than the wig thing...I just don't like wigs. Hell, it may just not be for me. I am totally and completely confused by wool hats being sold in Florida...okay, one or two...but whole displays? Wool?

I have that damn headache again tonight...I took some advil last night and it did not help, so I think I will pass on it tonight...no sense taking more crap if it won't do anything anyway.

Anyway, it has been a decent week overall...nothing unmanageable. I am having to drink lots of Mylanta every night (and sometimes during the day)...because the reflux and heartburn is in high-gear...daily and nightly.

Strange to be losing my hair though...I am still obsessively pulling some out every little while or so--it is kind of...fun...in an oddly psychotic way. Let me be clear...it does not hurt. It just comes out very easily. Hmmmm, will someone please make me stop pulling out my hair now?

I have been thinking about going back to the gym...or at least exercising more. I miss the gym...I just wonder if I have the stamina. I think I am healed up enough from the mastectomy to get back into the gym routine, so we shall see. Maybe some more walks once it finally cools off? I've been reading some articles and other blogs about folks' experiences relating to exercise and chemo. I will just have to figure out a way to manage the stamina/fatigue issues somehow.

With love, from the boobless and soon-to-be-hairless one in West Central Florida,
Tory

No comments:

Post a Comment