A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Thursday, October 8, 2009

More tests...or how to make Tory glow?

On Monday, 10-5-09, I got a call from St. Joseph's Hospital to set me up for an Echocardiogram, a full-body PET Scan and a Bone Scan. The PET and Bone scans are both "nuclear" tests that involve injections...so they cannot be done on the same day. Luckily, the folks at St. Jo's were nice enough to lump a couple of them together for me.

I have my Echocardiogram at 10:30 AM on Friday, 10-9-09, and, after a short break, I get injected for the PET Scan that I will have at about 1PM. In preparation for the PET Scan, I have to be super "lazy" all day today (Thursday), the day before the test. I also have to fast for 6 hours prior (except for water), and I am not supposed to "hang out" with small children or pregnant women after the test. The small children/pregnant women thing is a bit disconcerting. I mean...inject ME with the stuff...but then don't get around munchkins after...you might royally screw them up!!! I did ask if I could "plug myself in" to the hospital power grid and run the facility for a while after the test...um, they told me I might just be able to do that! Hell, if I have to have the stuff...at least make it useful...gotta love "nuclear medicine!"

The Echocardiogram is basic stuff...an ultrasound of my heart. Goopy goo--hope they warm it, I have been so cold-sensitive lately. I have had one done once before...I just remember being told my ribs are very close together, so they had trouble getting a good looksie at the ol' ticker...they ended up doing a lot of the looking from the bottom of my ribcage. We shall see how it goes this time.

The PET Scan sounds rather entertaining...laying down for up to 45 minutes with whirring/banging and other fun stuff similar to the MRI. Oh, that is after being injected with the radiotracer glucose stuff. Fun fun! It is interesting to note, that the PET Scan cannot detect cellular-level cancers...it locates masses...they can be small masses, but as I was keenly made aware, much of the cancer in my left breast was so new it was only detectable on the cellular level...the pathology studies were key in seeing all of the processes going on. So, we are looking for masses...breast cancer likes to spread to the liver, bones and brain...no more cancer dammit...mine is not allowed to have spread! If so, the chemo will kill it. I am determined!

Since I feel so great (sarcasm) about tests like these, I asked my friend Lynda R. to accompany me Friday. She will meet me at St. Jo's in the morning...I know it will probably be a bit boring for her (I know, I get to have all the fun!); however, I am truly grateful that she will be there with me. It just helps my nerves to not sit there all quiet...reading some goofy article in "Redbook" and psyching myself out in the worst way. Thank you Lynda! You will help to preserve what little sanity I have managed to maintain this year!!!

Ok...Monday the 12th is when I get the Bone Scan. Same place, at St. Jo's in Tampa...I get more radioactive tracer injected into me (woo hoo!) and they look for both "hot" and "cold" spots on the imaging. Interesting...tumours (benign and malignant) are indicated by hot or cold spots depending on blood supply to the area or the amount of the tracer they absorb. Hmmm...learning more than I ever wanted to know about nuclear medicine...

My friend Cheri F. is coming in to town on Sunday the 11th, so she will have the treat of hanging out with me on Monday for the Bone Scan stuff. Again...I can literally drive myself bonkers during tests like these...I have a tendency to pull inward emotionally and sleep for ridiculous amounts of time after even basic tests. It will be nice to have Cheri there with me!

Well...that's all on the upcoming tests for now...I am off to be super lazy. Hmmm...what to do?

2 comments:

  1. okay so after i sent the last message on fb i feel really awful that i haven't read your blog. i hope someone is with you today during your chemo. someone who will make you smile and laugh and keep your spirits up. tory you are an angel. you know that? i will send you all the good karma i have in me today, and that is alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks chica! No worries...you read it when you can! This is really my therapy, so read at will! I thankfully had my friend Cheri Pepper Freedman and my sister Becky DeWaters with me during Chemo.
    I have learned this year how to ask for help and support...not an easy task for me, and it still gives me the willies...but it is getting better each time!
    Thank you so much for the good karma...it is always welcome...and will come back to you I am certain!

    ReplyDelete