A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

a week of mild side effects...thank you anti-fungals

Well, this week started off okay...just some interesting side effects. The "mild bone pain" from the Neulasta shot was delightful. I can't wait to experience that again...I wonder if they will be able to reduce it or something, as that pain was quite interesting. I don't really know how to describe the feeling from that stuff...your bones ache from the inside...I think my marrow was screaming out in some sort of unhappy key. My bloodwork Thursday showed a very high White Blood Cell count...so we'll see how it does over the next couple of weeks...and yes, I guess I have to have WBCs...hmmm.
I bleed very easily right now...scratches, picks, bumps. Lots of fun bruises too. I find that I have to be very careful not to cut myself. I still have a bruise on my inner elbow where Nurse Tech Evilness pulled blood a week and a half ago. I wonder if they can find a good vein in my ass, so I don't have to keep going around looking like a junkie. Hmm.
Starting on Monday, my face broke out...my mouth and nose went completely dry, and my eyes started to get these lovely crusties. Then I started in with some symphonic gas...very pleasant farts, I must say. I wish I could produce those on demand...could end some unfortunate situations more quickly. Must research this. Diarrhea started Monday night...glad it waited until I got home from work. Good stuff. Even better on Tuesday when (while working at home) my body decided that it was gonna let loose right then no matter what. I have to say, my pants did NOT deserve that. And Sarge, I love ya, you are a wonderful dog, but please, if that happens again, I will clean the floor myself. You need not "help."
Truly nothing more disgusting than crapping your own pants.
I called the Doc's office to discuss the gas/bloating before the diarrhea started...they switched me to a bland diet--yum, 36 hours of broth...then Immodium to stop the spraypainting.
So on Wednesday, I realized that I recognized a lot of the symptoms I was having. Lucky me, I had a "Systemic Yeast Infection." Funny, I had it everywhere except where you'd expect. Eyes, nose, mouth, butt? Oh, now that is fun. Apparently, the steroids may have set that off...or my knocked-down immune system.
I had nose bleeds from it on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...fun. Now I was really looking like a junkie, crusty face, crusty eyes, arm bruises and all. I remember having Systemic Yeast Infections like 16 years ago...from steroids then...hmmm. Gave me bad gas and diarrhea and all of the other symptoms except nose bleeds...
Saw one of the other Oncologists at the Dr.'s office Thursday...to be sure it was a Yeast Infection...and it was/is. She started me on fluconazole to kill off the infection...and it is working very nicely. Nose feels about 50% better today, mouth is much better (Thrush sucks), eyes are happier, face still has some issues (hey, that is what makeup is for), butt is happier. I like a happy butt. No more diarrhea, gas or bloating. Doc said that they may have to keep me on fluconazole (an anti-fungal) during chemo to ward off these issues. High dose too...200mg. Hell, if it works, I am not going to complain.
Also during the Dr. visit, she reviewed my bloodwork and the ultrasound results for my thyroid. I have a 3 cm node on my thyroid that needs to be biopsied soon. Doc didn't look worried, and just said that they needed to look into it further. I really hope it is nothing...I don't have a whole lot of body parts left for folks to just keep yanking out of me. If they have to take that...I "get" to have another surgery (on my NECK eek)...and then I would have to have synthroid the rest of my life. Sheesh. Let's just hope it is nothing...OK?
Bloodwork good.
More bloodwork on Thursday...then next chemo on Thursday after that (November 5th). No date/time yet for the thyroid biopsy, but will have that very soon.
Went up to the office 3 days this week...yesterday (Friday) was the longest day at the office...and I really felt pretty well. I do get very tired EARLY...like around 8 or 9 PM (especially if I have not had a nap during the day), and I am waking up fairly early too. Sleeping okay, better the past couple of nights...been taking Ativan to help me sleep more consistently...I had been waking up every 1.5 hours or so.
My sister left on Tuesday to go back to Texas, take care of a few things, get her truck and slowly head back this way to stay with me during this. I miss her already and am looking forward to having her back. Cheri went home very early Wednesday AM. I really enjoyed having her here...it is so nice to have a friend like her my life. I hope to be able to go see her and her hubby Kevin while they are still living in Alaska. And maybe they both can make their way out to FL next time!

My hair: my scalp has been feeling weird all week...like a dull aching feeling. So, I got a wild impulse to have my hair chopped short...heck, I figure I could try it for a week or so before it fell out. Not really my style, to be honest...it is "fun," but I really do like having long hair. We shall see. Other body hair is starting to thin out, so I am curious when I get to go "monk!" I will give my sis the honor of shaving my head when it starts to go...I think...;-) I am getting the hats ready!

Off to eat some "real food" and not broth. Thank goodness I can eat again!
~Tory



2 comments:

  1. Tory, the poopy pants really sucks ... I have come very close to the same experience.

    There are some really cool hats out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) It was not fun!!!
    I am enjoying all of the hats I am seeing...and scarves too!

    ReplyDelete