A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Saturday, October 3, 2009

NO MORE DRAINS!!!

YEAH! Those darn drains came out yesterday without too much fanfare. The doc just cut the stitch and pulled back quickly. I felt no pain from him removing the drains...just a strange funky feeling under my skin. I did not watch them come out...I really did not want to. I have watched other folks have various surgical drains removed...seemed horrific to me, so I just watched the ceiling. Not bad. I really had no idea what it would feel like, as I had heard all sorts of things. One person told me it tickled. I suppose that could be...but no tickle for me, just strangeness.
The stitch on the left side did give me a bit of a start...just a sharp jab-like pain after he cut it. The doc was nowhere near me when it hit, so I really don't know what that was about. Just decided to jab a bit.
So, the doc just put bandages over the sites and sent me on my merry way...after he asked me about what I thought of his friend, and my new Medical Oncologist, Dr. Wright. I told him that he seemed very bright, friendly, and he seemed to know his stuff. I told him I appreciated the referral to him and would let him know how things go over time.
So, how does it feel to have my damn Jackson-Pratt drains out? Just WONDERFUL!!! It is so nice to be able to put on "normal" clothes and not have to cover up lines and bulbs. It was just so freakin' discouraging every time I would get caught on something. And, when you had to shove them up against you to try to "hide" them to go out in public...well. Makes me think there has to be some way to create something that would work better...maybe my sister and I could develop something for other folks...something to help out in the shower too...that was a royal pain in the ass having to figure out what to hook them to while I was showering. I ended up using black satin cording around my neck or a lanyard to hook them on while in the shower...but really? There should be something that would work better and be more comfortable. Must remember to research this. Hmmm...
Anyway, I feel like a new woman! Boobless (for now), but a new woman nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment