A strange gift indeed: My life beyond breast cancer...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chemo: Part 4 of 6 Today! I am 2/3 done!!!

Well, I woke up feeling a bit better this morning. I have been taking DayQuil and NyQuil pills during the past couple of days to help some of these apparent cold symptoms. They have been helping--the NyQuil has especially helped with me getting some good sleep at night.

I made it over to Tampa for my appointment, and the doc pulled me back before my bloodwork had been started. Apparently, there was a huge backup with getting bloodwork done, and he was ready for me! We talked for a while. He informed me that I DO NOT have the BRCA genetic mutation to blame for my Breast Cancer...hmmm, very interesting stuff. This is good news for my sis though...and that makes me feel pretty darn good! We also discussed my current infection--he gave me a look over and prescribed me with Augmentin to start after I am done with the Z-Pack. I also will have refills on this script, since I seem to be susceptible right now to these types of infections. I told him that this seemed so strange, as it started in my nose and my chest...then moved into my sinuses. Weirdness. Oh well, I am sure it will be fine...I am just ready to not be sick on top of, well, being chemo-sick!!!

Then we discussed my getting the massages (he gave me the note I needed)--I told him how helpful it was with my retaining water...worked better than limiting sodium AND exercise. Hell, the massages seemed to move out the excess fluids fairly quickly. I also told him that the school may be interested in working with their group somehow...and that they may be contacting him directly. He indicated that there were some folks that used to come to the office (before they had changed companies) and provide massages there to the patients. Hmmm...we'll see what they do with it, if anything!

We discussed travel again...and he said he was glad I was traveling...to call if I needed anything. And I (again) reminded him about the Claritin helping Neulasta bone pain. I told him that I started taking it BEFORE the shot last time, and I had very little pain this last time. He said he has recommended it to at least one other with some success...GOOD! I wish someone would figure out the connection there!!!

Anyway, I went back to get my bloodwork in the chemo administration area. They jacked in to my port (no, I did not look this time--that is just too gross!) and had the results within a few minutes. So, my bloodwork looked VERY GOOD...no issues at all...and I had no fever. Okay. Chemo #4 was about to get underway!!!

I didn't have any strange reactions this time...haven't really had any issues with it since the first one, so it went fairly smoothly. I didn't even get as loopy as I had last time from the Ativan shot...although I did get fairly nauseous during the last 45 minutes or so, during the Herceptin administration. Nothing major, just some mild nausea. Strange...I felt monsterously hungry along with the nausea.

Well, after about 4 hours of chemo, I was free to go...after they checked my blood pressure and weight. Blood pressure was a bit high (steroids, maybe?) and my weight is back down a bit (less fluid retention, maybe?) Next "appointment" is my shot of Neulasta tomorrow afternoon...then chemo on January 7th at 9:30 AM.

Becky came to get me tonight...although I felt like I could drive home this time, so I asked if she would follow me. I was a little tired...but I seemed fine--I was grateful she followed me home in case I had any problems! My sister rocks! Thanks Beck!

Well, after a nice helping of Becky's turkey meatloaf, some hummus and some Alaskan Truffles...I had to have some pizza. I ordered some and chowed down. Good lord! Haven't been that hungry in a while! Hmmm...don't even feel overstuffed. And I just noticed my cold symptoms are a bit better tonight...

Let's see what tomorrow holds!

With love,
Tory

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you are eating well. Happy New Year!
    John Dunn (Texas)

    ReplyDelete